Saturday, November 12, 2011

Falling for fall

     One thing we have a lot of here in Southern Ontario is apples. Boy oh boy do I love apples, and this is one thing I can buy local, simply by default. 
Both markets and grocery stores are packed with apples this time of year and you can buy them by the bushel. How many pies can you get from a bushel? I'm not sure, but I won't lie, I'd be happy to find out.


Aside from an apple a day, my upbringing was dominated mainly by pies, sauce and crisp of the apple variety. 
Apple crisp is probably the most dear to me, because it's always been there when I need it (i.e. all the time); my mom has had a crisp on the counter almost weekly for as long as I can remember.  With ice cream, it's dessert, with plain yogurt, it's breakfast! Once you realize how easy it is to make, you'll agree; this is one of the best foods ever to be made.


This is my mom's recipe, with some alterations because I was going gluten free when I made this particular one.  

Apples
Peel and slice
5 med. size apples -I used Cortland this time, they held their shape fairly well and yielded just enough juice. Their flavour is a citrus-kind of sweet.


Crisp
Stir together:
1 c. brown sugar
3/4 c. flour (I substituted rice flour, though I think I'd use slightly less next time)
(1/2 tsp xanthan gum, added to help out the rice flour)
3/4 c. rolled oats
1 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp ground nutmeg (My addition, mum doesn't care for nutmeg)
Cut in:
1/2 c. butter


Pour apples into greased 9x13 dish and press crumble mixture on top
Bake at 350˚ for 45-50 minutes


Now go, go and enjoy the heck out of autumn. 


Love apples as much as I do but don't know which variety to use, where or when? Betty Crocker's got us covered!

1 comment:

  1. I love apple crisp. I have a 15-year-old box of Quick Quaker Oats that I've been wondering what to do with. I have all the other ingredients except flour and butter. I do have lard though.

    ReplyDelete